Saturday, June 5, 2010

My Beautiful Kokeshi Family



Since I had a lot of left-over crafts from my going away party I let each of the kids make a kokeshi doll. After watching the kids paint their dolls Justin decided to make one himself.

I let the kids pick their washi paper first, Korbin chose a red one with butterflies, Katara chose a pinkish purple with white cherry blossoms and Kane chose a blue hydranga paper. Then I asked them what color they wanted to paint the body. Korbin chose red, Katara chose purple (it came out kind of bubble gum pink) and Kane chose black body. When it came time for hair Korbin wanted hair that matched his, so he ended up using a metallic tan color, Kane wanted blue hair and Katara just painted everything that purple color. Justin based his off of his favorite samurai; Samuri Jack. He even whittled a sword out of a chopstick! I didn't make one today since I made a sample one on Thursday night and my one last night at my party.

I wanted to be the one cutting the washi paper as it is about $5 a sheet. Korbin wanted a t-shirt with a belt. Kane wanted a cape and Katara wanted a "purple one" and a bow.

When it came time to draw faces, Korbin carefully penciled in eyes and a mouth and traced them in blue & red sharpie. When I asked Kane to draw eyes and a mouth he quickly replied " I already made some see?" But he did draw some wounds on his warriors face. Katara made a face, it was the first time she has ever done it for me, she drew 2 eyes (they are on the top of the head but it is so cute) and then she drew a mouth; but with the round shape it ended up looking like a sad face.

These precious dolls are probably the favorite in my collection (which is growing thanks to some gift cards and a dear friend!) They may not be perfect by the worlds standards but they are perfect for me. I am so lucky!!

1 comment:

Kathlyn said...

Be sure these are packed well - a better treasure you'll never have.